When it comes to indica-dominant strains, Critical Mass cannabis is a legend. Known for its impressive yields and soothing effects, this strain has gained popularity among both novice and experienced growers. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the world of growing Critical Mass seeds, exploring its origins, growing techniques, effects, and medical applications.
Critical Mass is an indica-dominant hybrid created by crossing Afghani indica with Skunk #1. It is a descendant of the renowned Big Bud strain and is celebrated for its ability to produce large yields of high-quality cannabis. The aroma of Critical Mass is sweet and earthy, and its effects are euphoric and dreamy, often leading to relaxation and sleepiness.
Origins and Breeding
Critical Mass cannabis originated from a cross between Afghani indica and Skunk #1 strains. The breeders at Mr. Nice Seed Bank carefully selected these parent strains to create a potent and robust hybrid. The Afghani indica contributes to the strain’s relaxing effects, while Skunk #1 adds a touch of sweetness to its aroma.
- Indoor vs. Outdoor: Critical Mass cannabis thrives indoors, but it can also be grown outdoors in warm and sunny Mediterranean climates. If growing outdoors, it is crucial to protect the plants from excessive humidity and rainfall to prevent mold issues.
- Hydroponics and Sea of Green (SOG) Method: Growing Critical Mass hydroponically and using the SOG method can maximize yields. The SOG method involves growing numerous smaller plants in a small space, promoting large yields.
- Pruning and Airflow: To prevent mold issues, prune the lower canopy of the plants to increase airflow and reduce humidity levels. This will help maintain a healthy environment for the plants to thrive.
Flowering Time and Yield
Critical Mass has a relatively short flowering time of 6 to 8 weeks. During this period, it is important to maintain low humidity levels (around 35% RH) to combat mold. In ideal conditions, indoor growers can expect a high yield of approximately 27 ounces per square meter, while outdoor growers can anticipate around 21 ounces per plant.
Feeding and Nutrients
- Hydroponic Growing: If growing Critical Mass hydroponically, it is recommended to use an immune-boosting liquid nutrient to strengthen the plant’s immune system. This will help prevent mold and other diseases.
- Soil Growing: When growing in soil, using compost tea and worm castings can keep the plants healthy. A strong immune system will help the plants resist mold and other common issues.
Effects and Medical Applications
- Relaxation and Sleepiness: Critical Mass cannabis is known for its relaxing effects, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a calm and tranquil experience. Its dreamy high often leads to sleepiness, making it a popular choice for individuals dealing with insomnia.
- Mood Enhancement: This strain can uplift your mood and leave you feeling happy and euphoric. It is often used to combat stress, anxiety, and depression, providing a sense of relaxation and mental well-being.
- Pain Relief: With its notable CBD content, Critical Mass has gained popularity in the medical field for its ability to alleviate pain. It is commonly used to treat conditions such as joint pain, muscle spasms, and migraines.
- Inflammation Reduction: Critical Mass has anti-inflammatory properties, making it effective in reducing inflammation in the body. This can be beneficial for individuals dealing with chronic inflammation-related conditions.
- Stress and Insomnia Management: The soothing effects of Critical Mass make it an ideal choice for managing stress and promoting restful sleep. It can help individuals unwind and experience a deep sense of relaxation.
- Dry Mouth: One of the most common side effects of consuming Critical Mass is dry mouth. Staying hydrated and drinking plenty of fluids can help alleviate this discomfort.
- Dry Eyes: Some individuals may experience dry eyes after consuming Critical Mass. Using moisturizing eye drops can provide relief.
- Dizziness and Anxiety: In rare cases, consuming high doses of Critical Mass may lead to feelings of dizziness and anxiety. It is essential to start with a low dosage and gradually increase to find the right balance.
- Mold Susceptibility: Critical Mass is prone to mold, especially in high humidity environments. Adequate ventilation and maintaining low humidity levels are crucial to prevent mold growth.
Growing Critical Mass Cannabis in Different Mediums
- Soil: Critical Mass can be grown successfully in soil. Using a well-draining soil mixture, such as regular potting soil mixed with perlite and lime, can provide the necessary nutrients and aeration for the plants to thrive.
- Hydroponics: Growing Critical Mass hydroponically can enhance its growth and yield. Hydroponic systems provide precise control over nutrient intake and water levels, resulting in healthier and more robust plants.
- Rockwool: Rockwool is a popular medium for starting Critical Mass clones. It provides excellent water retention and aeration, allowing the roots to develop quickly. Rockwool cubes are commonly used for germination and early seedling growth.
Harvesting and Drying
- Harvesting: Critical Mass is ready for harvest when the trichomes on the buds turn milky white. Using a magnifying glass or a jeweler’s loupe can help determine the optimal harvest time.
- Drying: After harvesting, it is essential to dry the buds slowly in a controlled environment. Hang the trimmed branches upside down in a dark and well-ventilated area with a temperature of around 70°F and a humidity level of 50-60%. This process can take approximately one to two weeks.
Critical Mass cannabis is a highly sought-after strain for its impressive yields, soothing effects, and medical applications. Whether you are a novice or an experienced grower, this indica-dominant hybrid offers a rewarding cultivation experience. If you are a beginner cultivator, you might want to order your cannabis seeds online from a trusted source to ensure you get the most potent seeds and a high-yield harvest.
By following proper growing techniques, maintaining optimal environmental conditions, and understanding its effects and medical benefits, you can successfully cultivate and enjoy the bountiful harvest of Critical Mass cannabis.
Note: This article is for informational purposes only. Growing and cultivating cannabis may be illegal in your jurisdiction. Please consult your local laws before attempting to grow or cultivate cannabis.